Town Fire Marshal’s Stop Leaking Underground Propane Tank Fire
The Coram Fire Department responded to a 6pm call in Coram for a leaking underground propane tank on Oct. 25.
Firefighters rushed to the scene to take care of a leaking propane tank that was reported to have been damaged by a crew that was cleaning the owner’s property. In order to assess the situation and slow the leak, the firefighters took necessary steps, however, they were unable to stop it, thus prompting the Town of Brookhaven Fire Marshals to be requested.
The Fire Marshals arrived at the scene and determined that a controlled burn off of the contents of the tank was appropriate to mitigate the hazard. A propane burn-off torch was brought to the scene. It was then deployed and tied to the leaking tank. The marshalls then ignited it through the torch and it was safely burned off by 11pm.
For more information, go to www.BrookhavenNY.gov.