James Declares Tariff Victory

By Hank Russell

Attorney General Letitia James declared victory after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that President Donald Trump’s tariffs were illegal.

On February 20, the Court ruled 6-3 that sweeping tariffs imposed by the Trump administration under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) violate the law. Justice Brett Kavanaugh dissented, writing, “The tariffs at issue here may or may not be wise policy. But as a matter of text, history, and precedent, they are clearly lawful.”

Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito also dissented.

But Chief Justice John Roberts, leading the majority, wrote, “The central thrust of the Government’s and the principal dissent’s proposed exceptions appears to be that ambiguous delegations in statutes addressing ‘the most major of major questions’ should necessarily be construed broadly. … But it simply does not follow from the fact that a statute deals with major problems that it should be read to delegate all major powers for which there may be a ‘colorable textual basis.’”

The court ruled in favor of James and a coalition of eleven other attorneys general who sued the Trump administration in April 2025 for violating the law by imposing massive new tariffs that they alleged severely disrupted the economy for workers and businesses.

In May 2025, the U.S. Court of International Trade ruled in favor of James and the coalition, deciding that the Trump administration’s tariffs issued under IEEPA are invalid. The U.S. Court of Appeals upheld the International Trade Court’s decision in August of last year.

“These illegal tariffs caused immense economic chaos, raising costs for families and businesses throughout our country,” James said. “The Supreme Court has agreed that this administration has no authority to impose massive new taxes on a whim. This is a critical victory for the rule of law and our economy, and I will keep fighting to protect New Yorkers from destructive policies that make life less affordable.”

Not surprisingly, Trump was upset with the decision. “They frankly are a disgrace to our nation, those justices,” he said, according to HuffPost. ““It is my opinion that the Court has been swayed by foreign interests and a political movement that is far smaller than people would ever think.”

The Hochul campaign, meanwhile, praised the court’s ruling.

“New Yorkers knew the Trump tariffs were expensive, to the tune of $4,200 a year – now we know they’re illegal, but that won’t stop Trump’s number one cheerleader, Bruce Blakeman, from continuing to fight to take money out of New Yorkers’ pockets,” said Hochul campaign spokesperson Ryan Radulovacki. “As Trump blows past his handpicked Supreme Court’s ruling, he can rest assured knowing the one person left in his corner defending higher costs for New York families is Bruce Blakeman.”

Long Island Life & Politics has reached out to the Trump administration and the Blakeman campaign and is waiting to hear back.