Here’s what you need to know:
- Candidates must be U.S. citizens, at least 18 years of age, and qualified voters in the school district. They must also be residents of their districts continuously for one year before the election.
- Petitions must be filed by April 17.
- Petitions can be obtained from your district clerk.
- Petitions must include the candidate’s name and residence, the vacancy in question, the incumbent’s name (if any), the residences of the persons who signed the petition, and the length of the term of office for which the candidate is being nominated.
- Petitions must be signed by at least 25 qualified district voters or two percent of the number of those who voted in the previous annual election, whichever number is greater.
- Candidates must also become aware of pertinent campaign finance law.
- Election Day is the third Tuesday of May.
For more information, visit https://www.nyssba.org/member-services/running-for-the-school-board/